The physical education and sport studies department (PESS) is a learning community dedicated to:
- Emphasizing a broadly-based, value centered liberal arts curriculum as the core of intellectual life, professional development and personal growth.
- Challenging each person to become a physically, mentally, socially, and emotionally fit individual through physical and intellectual learning and activity.
- Encouraging lifetime fitness and health in pursuit of a productive life through the development of healthful skills and attitudes.
The PESS department’s objectives are to:
- Provide quality undergraduate preparation for students planning professional careers in physical education, coaching, and recreation, and for those planning to pursue graduate study.
- Provide instruction and opportunities for activity for all Southwestern students through elective activity courses.
- Provide recreational opportunities and facilities for the entire Southwestern community.