2017 Founders Weekend
Founders Weekend is a great opportunity to celebrate the many things that make Southwestern unique and outstanding. The 2017 Founders Weekend will celebrate outstanding Moundbuilders with induction into four Halls of Fame: Leaders in Service Hall of Fame for the Social Sciences, FIne Arts Hall of Fame, Business Hall of Fame, and Educators Hall of Fame. The schedule for the weekend and lists of honorees are as follows:
Thursday, April 20
4:00 p.m. Honors Convocation - Held in Richardson Performing Arts Center in the Chrisy Adminstration building.
6:00 p.m. Reception and Exhibition Premier: The Strohl House (Welcome Center)
- A reception to open the showing of the Arthur S. Covey collection of art titled The Spirit of Kansas. A new look at a collection that has inspired generations of Moundbuilders.
- Docent guided tours of the collection will be held across multiple campus venues
- Artist talk presented by Mr. Ronnie Jenkins
Friday, April 21
2:00 p.m. Book presentation by Dr. Chris Barker Mossman Hall, Room 101. Dr. Barker will give a presentation on his upcoming book Majority Freedom: John Stuart Mill's Creation of a Liberal Coalition.
5:30 p.m. Leaders in Service Hall of Fame for the Social Sciences unveiling of plaques followed by dinner & induction ceremony, Deets Library. Cost $20, limited seating, RSVP necessary to email@example.com.
- Theodore S. "Ted" Hresko, class of 1973
- Roy L. Smith, class of 1908
- Richard B. Wilke, Bishop in Residence
7:00 p.m. SC Singers and MTens Concert - Richardson Performing Arts Center
Saturday, April 22
9:00 a.m. Fine Arts Hall of Fame brunch on Callison Stage in Richardson Performing Arts Center. Cost $15, seating is limited, RSVP necessary to firstname.lastname@example.org. At 10 a.m., the induction ceremony will begin in Richardson Performing Arts Center and is open to the public with no reservations needed.
- Arthur Sinclair Covey, class of 1899
- Woodrow J. Hodges, class of 1965
- Don Phillip Gibson, class of 1961
12:00 noon Business Hall of Fame lunch & induction ceremony, Deets Library. Cost $15, limited seating, RSVP necessary to email@example.com.
- Brian T. Pettey class of 1996
- Dennis R. Hodges class of 1981
- Eric J. Kurtz class of 1992
Business Builder Award - Kline Motors, Inc.
2:00 - 3:30 p.m. The Spirit of Kansas
- Docent guided tours of the Arthur Covey exhibition available. Begin at the Welcome Center.
3:30 p.m. Educators Halls of Fame reception, Deets Library, followed by hall of fame ceremonies. No charge, but to insure adequate seating, your RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org is appreciated.
- Chitra Harris class of 2010
- DeAnne (Hastings) Heersche class of 1984
- Joy (Weigle) Will class of 1969
6:00 p.m. Founders Day Dinner, Roy L. Smith dining hall, by invitation only. New inductees to the Heritage Society, persons who have made provisions for Southwestern College in their estate plans, will be recognized.
8:00 p.m. A Cappella Choir Concert, in Richardson Performing Arts Center. The Choir will present selections directed by Dr. Brian J. Winnie.
Sunday, April 23
3:00 p.m. Southwestern College Youth Symphony Concert, Richardson Performing Arts Center. $8 adults, $5 ages 5-18, no charge for ages 5 and under. Tickets may be purchased at the door.
All Weekend Events
Vision: A student photograpy exhibition - Pounds Lounge available during regular hours
The Spirit of Kansas - an exhibition of portions of the Arthur S. Covey Collection found in locations across campus
For more information on Founders Weekend events, call 620.222.1135.